The advent of the podcast has really changed my life and ability to learn when I’m doing seemingly mindless tasks. And, of course, true crime is by far one of my favorite genres. Here are 13 of my favorite true crime podcasts that are guaranteed to keep you up all night and make you watch your back out in public.
1. My Favorite Murder – hosted by Georgia Hardstark & Karen Kilgariff – one of the more lighthearted on this list – These chicks are hilarious and only slightly irreverent. If you can’t handle bad language though, maybe best to skip it as it is an F-bomb minefield. They also get just a little political on occasion.
2. Casefile – hosted by an Aussie and, if the accent isn’t reason enough, the show is really well researched and told in an entertaining fashion. This guy has kept me entertained for many hours, and most of the episodes are pretty in depth.
3. Crime Junkie – Hosts Ashley Flowers and Brit are super interesting and to the point, and the story telling is truly on point. This is one of my personal favorite podcasts of all time. These chicks hold my interest and just seem to put a unique spin on some of these stories.
4. Criminal – Hosted by Phoebe Judge, these bite size episodes are really informative and interesting. I’ve learned quite a few things I’d never even heard of before on this podcast. I’m not anywhere near done with all the episodes, but you will definitely find something to capture your attention here.
5. The Last Podcast on the Left – These dudes are hilarious but also super triggering. If you are even remotely easily offended, probably best to steer clear of this one.
6. Serial – Season 1 – the reigning King of podcasts – Serial is what got most people started, and I am no different. Season 1 will suck you in, and you’ll binge these episodes. I sure did.
7. Small Town Murder – These are mostly little heard of small town cases. I’ve heard many cases here that I’ve never heard of anywhere else, and on top of that, these dudes are also hilarious.
8. Sword and Scale – This podcast will suck you in, but it is definitely not for those with a weaker constitution. The graphic details are very openly related in these episodes. If you’re so inclined though, you’ll hear things here that you wouldn’t normally hear anywhere else.
9. The Trail Went Cold – From missing persons to murder cases, all of these are unsolved. There are definitely no happy endings, but your mind will be captivated by the stories of these cold cases.
10. True Crime Garage – I love how well researched this podcast is, and episodes generally come in multiple parts and are very in depth including most possibilities and random theories. On another note, if you’re a beer aficionado, you’ll enjoy this. The guys crack open a cold one at the beginning of each episode and rate the different craft beers they’re drinking. You could definitely come up with a pretty varied beer bucket list as a fun side perk of listening to this podcast.
11. Morbid – These girls do great research, but this is also one of the more graphic podcasts on this list. You should have a strong stomach for some of these episodes. I, personally, completely skipped the torture episode because I just can’t stomach it.
12. Cold – This is one of the first podcasts I ever listened to, and I was absolutely hooked. I binged for days, and the crazy part is I had never actually heard this story. This podcast tells the full story of the Susan Powell case, at least as far as anyone who is still alive knows. I was in for a shock since I didn’t know how it ended.
13. Bear Brook – This is the story of unidentified bodies found in the woods of New Hampshire, and it’s probably one of the creepier podcasts that I’ve listened to. I turn this podcast off late at night when everyone else is asleep because I don’t want to get too freaked out.
Am I missing any? ..probably
What are your favorite true crime podcasts?